Monday, July 21, 2014

Anticipation

I love to garden.  I love flowers.  I love veggies.  I love to watch things grow.

     
 My sweet ones love to help, too!

Yet, I will admit:  I am not a patient person by nature.  I am certainly  a product of my generation.  An instant gratification kind of gal.  I plant my garden and want to see those red tomatoes............ right now.  I expect to have those cucumbers in that vinegar making happy pickles....... yesterday. 

But there is something to be said of the anticipation that goes into.... well, most of life.  Checking those little plants each day.  Carefully tending the garden.  Waiting with expectant hope for new life to emerge, grow, and thrive.

So that's what I've been doing these past several weeks.  Carefully tending my garden, watching for signs of new life and growth.

And this is what I've seen...

 

.
 

 

Some of my plants offer the hope of a hearty harvest.  Some plants still have yet to blossom.  I even have one tiny, precious tomato plant that is just barely 3 inches tall!  

 This was a seed that my sweet ones planted, and we have watched sprout on our front porch.  I had great doubts as to if that thing had any life left in it at all-- but my babies believed!  Still holding my breath as to whether or not we will actually see any fruit from this plant.

And as I carefully tend my little garden, the Spirit whispers to my soul.

I am a plant in the garden of life, and my Savior is the Master Gardener.  He carefully nurtures, waters, and provides for each of us-- watching with expectant hope for our growth and production of that precious fruit.  Sometimes I am filled with blossoms, lifting my leaves up to heaven, soaking up the Light of the Son.  Other times there is no signs of any potential fruit, no blooms, only leaves.  Yet, my Faithful Gardener continues to water, feed, and nurture my soul.  With expectant hope.

Perhaps there are those who are even like that tiny seed that not many people thought would even sprout.  Yet, Someone believed enough to care for them.  To plant, to water, to nurture.  When others wrote off a seed, the Savior saw a soul.

This little tomato plant has convicted and challenged my heart.  The Spirit has nudged me, encouraging me to look with new eyes to those who might need that expectant hope.  The Light of a Savior.

I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase
I Corinthians 3:6


No comments:

Post a Comment