Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Whatsoever state I am...

This week was full of highs and lows.  Some verses the Lord has echoed in my heart [even when I haven't necessarily been listening] are Philippians 4:11-12, which encourages us from Paul's personal experience so he shares,

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.  I know both how to be abased [knocked flat on my back, completely wiped out by the flu], and I know how to abound [celebrate the life of my sweet babies]: every where [at work when I have to be away from my family] and in all things [no matter what changes in my schedule may come]  I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need."

Contentment is an interesting thing.  It is something that often creeps right on out, sometimes unawares.  But something that has helped me to learn from my "abase" moments is to look at the perspective of at least it isn't...  The best part of this lesson is that my kiddos have started to pick up the habit of "at least" as well!  Contentment is a learned quality, you know!

But, as always, the Lord provides more than a few moments of blessed-beyond-measure for me to rejoice...and share!

So here you go:

Highlight of my week:  my sweet boy's birthday.  Wow!  Six.  My first baby is SIX.  I have to use BOTH hands to show how old he is.  *sob*


We know how to party in the Gibson house... We like to do a birthday month instead of just a birthday DAY.  Plus, since variety is the spice of life, we have all different kinds of treats.  So, we had a cupcakes for friends at school, a cookie cake for friends at church, and an ice cream cake for friends at home!

             

Birthday morning started with ice cream for breakfast, and then daddy brought Ellie and Samuel to school so that we could all have lunch together.

   


Another "up" of my week is that my sweet Samuel turned 11 months old.  Again: wow.  I cannot believe it.  He is loving standing in his crib, thinking that he knows how to walk. 


One of the not-so-favorite parts of this week is that mama was a little on the icky side.  But the blessing of mama being sick is that my sweet babies love to take care of me.  My Ellie is especially nurturing-- she took my temperature, sang me some songs, and even gave me some "shots".

 

 
Doc McEllie has been takin' care of Mama

There wasn't much swimming for me this week.  But there were many early bedtimes!  One of my personal issues is finding the balance of life.  Sometimes I stress about not getting to exercise, swimming too much and not spending time with my family, spending equal amounts of quality time with each of my sweet ones, and the list can go on and on and on and... well, you get the idea. 

But I think that that is one of the big "umphs" of those verses I shared [Philippians 4:11-12, in case you are just as tired as I am and can't quite remember].  Learning to be content:  right. where. I. am.  Not worrying about what needs to get done, not fretting about what isn't getting done.  Just being content right where I am.  Perhaps someday I will be able to confidently say, as the Apostle Paul did, "I have learned!"  But for today, I will continue to press on and snuggle these babies.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment