Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Big Reveal...

Well, I realize that it might be a bit anti-climatic since my "drama" and "torn-ness" actually is from Monday and not today... Thursday.  However, that will also give you a glimpse into why (a) I am so torn and (b) I feel like a crazy person.

To begin:  "THE DEVIL WANTS ME FAT"

So last week I began my plunge into exercising in the mornings before school.  (Remember, as in "it is now 5:45 am and I am FINISHED with the workout"???)  I must sheepishly admit that in my mind, I am still in the physical shape of my college/pre-baby/pre-marriage/pre-EVERYthing days.

However, that is not the reality of my shape.  *sigh*  So, perhaps I have been a little overzealous.  That being said, on Sunday I ended up having to go to Urgent Care b/c evidently, I somehow pulled a muscle in my lower back-- which made it QUITE difficult to walk (much less take care of a household involving a 2 and 3 yr. old!).  So that was Sunday.  Needless to say, I have been having to NOT exercise (*sigh* no Zumba yet) this week.

In addition to the "resting" requirement, I have also been prescribed some "special pills" to help heal up my unhappy back.  Oh, my.  For those of you who know me (and even possibly claim to "love" me), I am crazy on my best days.  Yes, I am secure in that part of myself.  Granted, the Lord and I are trying to work on it, but the reality is still there:  I am a nutcase.

Now.  Add some pretty "helpful" medication to that natural born "crazy"... Are you following me?  Do you KNOW what chaos is my life right now?!  I explain it to people like this:  I feel like the Road Runner is in my brain.  And my mouth.  And my face.  Oh, he's everywhere.  So right now I'm just tryin' to hang on and stay out of prison.

 Moving on:  "I'M PRETTY SURE THERE'S A MEDICINE FOR MY SICKNESS..."

Yes, I did just finish confessing about my current medication-- and how splendidly THAT is going.  And now I'm looking for MORE?  No, not really.  But perhaps.  Here are the facts: 

  1. My children needed Valentine's Day cards for their preschool classmates.
  2. I'm a bit of an over-achiever.
That sums it up.  That's pretty much the "short version".  But I'll tell you that instead of simply just getting normal, everyday, ordinary, preschool appropriate cards for my sweet D and E to give out, I had the BRILLIANT plan that I should inSTEAD make cake pops.


If there are 9 children/teachers in Daniel's class, and there are 12 children/teachers in Ellie's class, how many cake pops does Leah NEED to make?  (yes, I do basic math:  21.) 

How many did Leah ACTUALLY make?  39. 


Now, you may have made these delightful treats previously (and they ARE delightful!), but I want to offer some little important tips for those of you who have NOT yet embarked on this sweet little journey.

First of all:  the absolutely MOST important part of this ENTIRE process is NOT what kind of cake you use or the icing or the melting of the chocolate or the decorations or the length of the sticks.  No, I submit that the absolutely MOST critical step is the Styrofoam block.  I couldn't find any at the den of Satan Wal-Mart when I was gathering all of my critical ingredients.  I just shrugged it off as not very important and was CERTAIN *I* could just improvise. 
STOP.  

NO.
  
Do NOT attempt to improvise.  

Especially not at 11:00 at night

(See where the need for medication is coming in?!)  Here's what ended up happening...

I made the lovely 39 cake pops (as pictured above).  After having a small meltdown b/c I skipped over the "refrigerate for 10-15 minutes before dipping in chocolate to avoid having the balls fall off of the stick" step, I then proceeded to the "dip once chilled" step.  (after chilling, of course! ;) )

WHICH brings us to that vital step.  The Styrofoam.  I'll cut to the chase.  After about 30-45 minutes of atTEMPting to "improvise" (failing miserably), the Holy Spirit Himself (no, I am serious!) whispered softly to my Road Runner heart: "How about using that shoe box with holes stuck in it?"  Oh, thank You, Father!


It was fairly smooth sailing after the shoe box on top of a checkered cooling rack discovery.  I became quite adept at dip, twist, sprinkle, twist, poke [in the hole on the shoe box].  And the end result was not only beautiful, but also DELISH! :)  

5 hours later...

So the moral of my story blog is this:  take each day one at a time.  Enjoy the moment.  Don't worry about what the devil wants.  Tomorrow's another day.  But most importantly: DO NOT FORGET THE STYROFOAM!


6 comments:

  1. I literally laughed out loud at the "den of satan" part! So true!

    Your cake pops look wonderful!

    Praying your back heals up! Isn't it funny/sad how we think we're still in our highschool/college bodies? Then, of course, our bodies remind us we indeed aren't. lol The joys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I really needed that bit of info since cake-pops is a request and I needed the laugh!
    Again love the new site, I can read it on my phone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were fun to make. Especially once I got my "rhythm" down. :) I (obviously) just can't stress the importance of having all the necessary materials enough! Lol. My other tip is to make sure you don't make them too big. Even though I ended up with 39 pops, I probably should've had more-- b/c some of them were PRETTY big. :) But they are soooo very deee-viiiiine! :) Love you guys!

      Delete
  3. Ahhhhh...Dear Friend! I love you. I am finally able to see this...and love it. What you are not the perfect Pastor's wife who already had a plan b, c? I am so thankful, you are you! You are imperfect and being made perfect as am I...you lift my spirits with these life stories. It is in these trying, simple life moments when we can grow in God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, so you have posted as "anonymous" (which is fine! :)), but I don't know who you are?! :) Who is this kind person who has encouraged me?!

      Delete
    2. So I bet this is Maria...??? :)

      And you KNOW I had a "plan b, c, d, AND e". But you ALSO know that I refuse to admit defeat-- especially to a mere cake pop! Lol... :)

      Delete