Saturday, August 8, 2015

Spiced Peaches and Jesus

If your brain is even slightly less mushy than mine is these days, you may recall that I shared several different links to recipes that I either had just tried or was looking forward to trying in the near future.

Well.... drum roll, please......

I have FINISHED canning every single piece of produce in my kitchen at this moment in time.

Thank you... thank you... thank you...

I woke up this morning with grit and determination.  Well... perhaps that's over-selling it a bit...  But I did realize that if I was going to get the remainder of tomatoes and peaches into a state of preservation, today was that day.

Now, before I get to the good news, I'm going to need you to brace yourself for some pretty depressing information.  [Are you sitting down?]  Whilst I was doing all that browsing the other day, I remember reading about a woman sharing that she was canning [tomatoes, I believe it was] and heard the most horrifying sound a hard-working gal can hear:  the sound of a well-packed jar burst or crack in the canner/water bath. (You know why you're sitting down now, don't you?)

I didn't have many tomatoes leftover from all that raspberry peach salsa and "regular ole' tomatoes" canning.  However, I had just enough.  Normal people would've probably split those blanched, peeled, and diced tomatoes into two separate jars-- you know, so that they were certain to have room for that hot water and such that keeps the jar nice and warm before placing into a hot water bath to can...  But I'm not really accused of being normal too often-- competitive, yes.  Normal, no.  So I jammed every last one of those pieces into my one, lonely jar.  I thought the jar was still warm enough from the sanitizing.  But, alas.  It was not.  I placed it in the pot to begin the process, and I heard that "pop" that no one wants to hear.  And I knew.  Oh, mercy.  I.  Knew.

And do you wanna know what happened right in that moment?

[Since this is my blog, and I'm the author I'm going to go ahead and tell you.]

Jesus happened.

I'm all about some honesty, so I feel compelled to confess that I believe the Lord uses ordinary things to teach extraordinary lessons-- especially to the mama.  As I was skimming through that article last week, and as I read about this fellow-preserver's misfortune, I kind of brushed it off and read on.  Now that I am looking back to that moment {read: that moment flashed before my eyes!}, I realized that without even intending to, I had allowed a seed of pride to burrow right on into my heart.  I actually remember thinking, "Huh.  That's never happened to me."  You're following, aren't you?  And as the Lord brought those feelings to my mind, a certain passage of Scripture rushed my heart-- convicting me right to the core, twinging my little spirit more than a little bit.

"The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican." ~Luke 18:11

Now, you may be thinking, "Um, Leah.  Pretty sure you're taking a little too much creative liberty with the Text..."  However, I instead like to see it as a precious teaching moment from a loving Father Who is concerned with every detail of my life.  Even that packed jar of tomatoes.  Which, for the record, was so well packed that even after the bottom of the jar cracked off in a perfect sort of "lid", not a 'mater slipped out.

So I did what any mama who longs for peace in an already jam-packed heart (no pun intended!) does.  I bowed my head, paused my sticky fingers, and breathed out my millionth prayer for grace today.  Amazing Grace.  How sweet the sound.  I love it when I'm right with the Savior.  I love it when the Holy Spirit prompts me of things with which need to be dealt.  And here's my favorite:  I love it when I'm actually listening.

Now, on to those peaches!  Yum.  Once again, I find myself looking forward with expectant hope to winter days.  The original intent for the spiced peaches undertaking has always been with the thought of a sweet, fragrant topping to a warm dish of oatmeal on a cold, snowy morning. Mmm... I can almost smell that welcoming breakfast.  I stuck to the original recipe as best as I could-- especially with the vision of that lost tomato jar still fresh in my mind!  But you know I had to add a few tweaks and twists to make it my own.


~I only used cinnamon sticks and whole all spice as the spices for this recipe.  (Mostly because it's all I had! ;) )

~While warming the honey/sugar/water mix, I added several cinnamon sticks and whole all spice right into the pot.  I wanted those flavors to permeate the syrup, even before canning.  


~I did add one cinnamon stick per jar, plus just a few all spice.


~Since my plan is to use these yummers for a topping, I just went ahead and diced up the peaches now, you know, since the more realistic picture is me dashing around getting ready for school or church!



~You may notice that this recipe yielded 5 quart jars of adequately packed peaches as well as one pint-sized jar of the leftover syrup.  It was so. good. that I just couldn't in good conscience throw it out.  I didn't really have any use for it in this present moment; so I decided to can it for use in the fall for some yummy spicy peach sweet tea.  Oh, mercy.    My only regret is that I didn't include a cinnamon stick in the jar of syrup as well.  But, live and learn.

This recipe was so delish that I am almost [almost, sweet hubby] tempted to snag another batch of those fresh, juicy peaches from my Farmer's Market.  Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment