Tuesday, January 27, 2015

One Hour Rolls Intervention!

I'm pretty sure I have shared this recipe before of my most favorite, loved, and go-to dinner rolls.  I use them as dinner rolls, but also-- and often more frequently-- for larger sandwich buns.  Nothing as yummy as sweet and spicy pulled pork barbeque, just spilling over the sides of a warm, yeasty bun.  Have.  Mercy.

I have also shared this delectable recipe with several of my dear friends.  But, alas.  They have not had any of the success with this recipe that I have!  Which makes me super sad. 

So I decided that a roll intervention was in order...

Without further ado ... I give you: step by step instructions for a successful one hour roll!

Ingredients:

1 c warm water
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c oil
2 Tbsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
3 1/3 c flour [I always use bread flour]
 

In my Kitchen Aid mixer, I add 2 tablespoons of "bread machine yeast",  1/3 cup of good ole' regular sugar, and one cup of warm water.  
 
*Now, this step is super important.  This is what will make or break your bread (no pun intended!).  I can honestly say that I have never used an actual thermometer to see what the temperature of my water is, but this is my method of testing my water for yeast is to stick my finger in it.  If it makes me think, "Eeek!  That's a bit warm!" I will add some more cold water.  If it's too cool, and doesn't make me think about taking a bath in it, I add a little more hot water.  
 
If your water is too hot, it will kill your yeast, and it doesn't matter how long you wait, it is not gonna happen for you.  If your water is too cold, it will take forever to activate the yeast.  I'll be honest and tell you that I've killed yeast before!  It is not a crisis.   (Though it annoys me b/c you won't really know until you've waited to see if the yeast has proofed.  So than I have to start again, and it's longer before I get to sink my teeth into that yummy roll!)*

Here is what my mixture looked like after whisking the water, yeast, and sugar together.


 
If you look carefully, you can see that the liquid is thin and there are little "specks" in the mix.  
I'm not a scientist, but I think it's the yeast/sugar particles getting ready to get happy! :) 

Then you have to wait.  I usually wait about 10 minutes (though often it's not that long-- but I know what to look for!).  You will know that the mix has "proofed" because it will look frothy and thicker.  Like this:

If you will notice, this is thicker looking with all those bubbles on top.  Also, look at the side of the bowl... see how it left a creamy residue as I kind of "swished" it sideways to take the picture? 
 If your yeast mixture doesn't look like this after 10 minutes, you can either wait a few more minutes (to see if it just is a late bloomer) or toss it and start again, double-checking the temperature of your water.

Then, in a large measuring cup, I pour 1/3 cup of oil (I have used olive, vegetable, canola, and sunflower-- all are perfectly acceptable!), add one egg, and whisk them together.  Then add the oil/egg mix to the yeast mix (which is waiting so patiently in my Kitchen Aid mixer bowl!).  Notice how the oil kind of separates the creamy mixture?


 
 I then sprinkle my salt on top and give it a good whisk.  Next, add one cup of flour and whisk until smooth.  After this, the mixture will be too thick to use the whisk, so don't even try.   I just dump 2 more cups of flour into the mix, and then let the dough hook mix it all up.  Now, you will probably have to add about 1/2 cup more flour to the mix to make sure it's not too sticky.  If it looks like thick cake batter, you need more flour.  If it's tacky, but stays together when you pry it out of the bowl with your flour covered hands, you're golden! 
 
                   
 
 I always scrape it all out, gently roll it into a ball, and then put it back in the bowl to "rest" and rise for 15 minutes.  
 
I always cover my bowl and put it on the back of the stove as I set the oven to preheat to 450*.  
This helps it rise faster and more.  

You will be able to see a difference in the dough after it has risen.  It will look all puffy and delicious.  To be honest, this is usually the stage where my sweet kiddos are kind of looking around, waiting for a taste of the dough.  And mama usually obliges!

Yes, this sweet boy is saying, "Aaaaaah...." just waiting for a taste! :)


 
 
 
You can see the difference in letting the shaped buns rise for 10-15 minutes.  Again, I cover them with a towel and put them on the back of the stove-top to utilize that heat from the oven.  

Once you reach this stage, just pop this tray right into the oven.  BUT!  You need to then turn down the oven to 350*.  I always heat my oven high so that the heat is really "ready" for baking.  However, if you don't turn it down, you are in trouble.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.  It usually takes a little closer to the 12 minute side with the larger buns so make sure that middle is done all the way.  You want the tops to be nice and deeply golden brown.


Oh, don't you wish you could snatch one of these right off your screen?!  I usually butter the tops of the rolls as soon as they come out.  You know.  'Cause...butter.  Yah.  Plus, here's a tip:  if you happen to over-bake them too much, the butter on the tops will keep them soft!  I know, right?!

So there you have it!  I hope that this step by step, pictures included, helps you find success in your baking endeavors.  I love to bake and think there is something so special about homemade.  Kind of like a warm hug all wrapped up in yeasty goodness!

Let me know how YOURS turn out!!!

One final motivational picture for your viewing pleasure... my super yummy cheeseburger!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment