Friday, June 15, 2012

You should probably sit down for this...

You can tell that I am obviously on summer vacation-- because here I am with my second post.  In one day.  (I actually just "lol-ed" right now. :) )  But you will know WHY I am so pumped and couldn't wait in just a few moments.

As we all know, Father's Day is just around the corner.  Literally.  I have been super blessed with a super husband-- who is a super father.  Thus, I am totally pumped for Father's Day! :)  My husband is usually the "out of the park" gift giver.  I am a blessed woman.  But this year, *I* am (quite possibly) the winner.

"What is it that makes you think you're so special?"  You may ask.


I made him these cupcakes:



I call them: "The Caramel Mock-iato"  Eh...eh...!  Get it?  (My sweet hubby's favorite "treat beverage" of all times is the Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks.)  For all of you Pinterest addicts out there, I'm sure you've seen a wide range of recipes for this and other delectable delights.  However, none of them really ever grabbed my attention before-- as in the "Oh, I must stop everything I am doing and go make these cupcakes.  Right now." kind of grab the attention.  Until now.  These did.  And I did.  Though, naturally, I had to tweak them. ;)

Here's what happened...

I found this recipe from a new interesting blog that I shall revisit quite often, I am sure... Bakingdom.  I have never made my own caramel before today.  Nor had I yet ever used coffee IN my baking.  But, as luck would have it (really, it was fate, wasn't it????), we had some left over coffee from breakfast.  It's like the Lord wanted me to make these for my incredible husband. 

I started the caramel sauce...

Please don't judge my messy stovetop...

If you choose to make this wonderful concoction, please oh PLEASE be extra careful on the "slowly add the whipping cream to the boiling mixture" step.  No, I don't have a good story about a bad experience.

Praise the Lord.

Just be careful.

If all goes well, this is what should be the end result:

I left my "upside down, make the saute' pan level" red bowl in the background on purpose-- so you could see how deliciously golden that sauce is.

Then we move on to the cupcakes.  As I have mentioned before in previous posts, regardless of WHAT cupcake recipe you may be trying, I firmly believe that the very first step is one of the most important.  Whip that butter.  Leave it a-LONE.  Cream in that sugar, and let them get close.  Let them become as one.  That is my opinion.  But I'm pretty sure I'm right...

After the cupcakes have baked and cooled, cut out the little top (very carefully!) and then spoon in a scoop of that decadent caramel sauce that you have just whipped right up.  Put the top back on.  It's like your cupcake has a secret.  And it does.  Oh, my.  It.  DOES.

Can you guess which of these cupcakes I have already unofficially "staked my claim"?  If you said the one in the top right corner-- you'd be right! :)

Then comes the frosting.  Now, my new friend (whether she knows it or not) Darla suggests a coffee icing before the "whipped cream" frosting.  However, I just didn't feel like making it.  I was trying to think of some really exciting and/or creative reason for not including that.  But I just don't have anything but the truth.

I topped them with my top-secret, super delicious vanilla cream cheese frosting.  Actually, it's not that top secret.   I'm pretty sure I've posted it somewhere on my blog before now.  Anyway.  Just a couple weeks/months ago (remember, it's been a long year... my sense of time is a little off right now) I made a very wise purchase: the Best Ever Cupcake Icing Kit from Bake It Pretty.  Love that thing.  So I used it.  Piped out my delish frosting in an ever-so-impressive fashion on top of these gems.

You're starting to see it, aren't you???
Then comes the hardest part, in my opinion.  If the Lord ever allows for me to really have my bakery dream ("Gibson Goodies") hit full steam, I shall most definitely invest in one of those caramel-squeezing-out-bottle things.  That drizzling with a spoon could get really old, really fast.  But drizzle I did.  Fo-drizzle.  Lol.  If my husband reads this, he is rolling his eyes right now.




Remember that secret your cupcake was trying so hard to keep?

Do you see that caramel peaking out to say "hello"?

So there they are.  Don't you wish you lived closer to me?  I would make them for you if you did.  Honest.  I would.  Especially if you came to my monthly ladies' Bible study which happens the 3rd Saturday of every month at my sweet church, Grace Bible Church.  (Is that a good plug, or what?!)


4 comments:

  1. Leah, I love your blog! It's like you're walking into my dorm room again to share a hilarious (or not so hilarious at the moment but turned into hilarious...you know what I mean!) moment. :) And, those cupcakes look DANGEROUS (in a very yummy way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite honestly, I could probably USE a good trip to "Val's room"! :) And I have to agree... dangerous for sure! Which is why I am taking some to my ladies' Bible study this morning. Can't have too many of those puppies hanging around the Gibson house!!! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh dear! Those cupcakes look soooooooo good!

    If only I lived closer. . .

    I also want to drink that caramel sauce. :) It would be so good in coffee. I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you think...! :) In fact, there WAS a little o' caramel sauce left over. And I told my hubby last night that I was going to make him super yummy coffee today. :) Aaaaaand! That website also has a homemade recipe for the Caramel Macchiato. I'll probably do that for him today! :)

      Delete