Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Take Me Away

I have been blessed to spend all my days in a biblically-based, church-attending, ministry-focused, Christ-honoring home.  The older I get, the more grateful I become for this.

Since I have spent many hours in the House of God, under the preaching of God's Word, there have been different passages read that I didn't quite understand-- even misunderstanding them as I read them during my own Bible reading times.  One such passage is John 15.  As a quick recap and reminder, this is the passage of Scripture that draws much focus to the importance of abiding in Christ.  More specifically, seeing ourselves as a branch that desperately needs to abide in Christ the Vine.  The passage in its entirety is quite encouraging and comforting.  I mean, who doesn't love verse nine?

"As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love."

But before we get to that friendly verse, we have verse two that we have to get around.

"Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away."

Now, this is one of those verses that always confused me.  I heard many (well meaning) lessons and sermons about how if someone wasn't bearing fruit, the Lord would just cut them off and take them away.  Quite frankly, it always made me a little uncomfortable and even discouraged.  If ever my Bible reading lead me to this passage, I would just read through that verse quickly, not giving it much thought.  I mean, who wants to think about Jesus cutting you away from the God-Vine?!  Not this girl, that's for sure!

However, I have the most wonderful news for you:  this verse is perhaps the most precious and tender verses in all of Scripture.

Wait..... whaaaaaat....?

We see that "takes away" and get all panicky.  That is the part that makes me nervous.  Yet a better, more accurate translation would be to say "every branch that does not bear fruit, He lifts up".

OK.  I'm starting to settle down a bit. But what does that mean?

We get a better picture when we read on into verse three:

 "You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you."  

Obviously, there are believers who are abiding and thriving right up close to the vine.  Their hearts are clean and don't really need any extra gardening from the Master Vinedresser.  These branches are already bearing their fruit because the Word of God is actively in their hearts and minds.  They are clean!

So then comes this picture that Christ is trying to paint for us in John 15:2...  There is a branch that is growing.  Kind of.  I mean, if you even want to call it "growing".  Sometimes there are branches that, for whatever reason-- be it lack of Sonshine, not enough Water [from the Word], or even simply exhaustion-- these wilted branches have floundered down low near the ground, away from the Heart of the Vine.  These poor branches are getting trampled by passerbyers, stifled from the warmth and nourishment from the Son by the well-meaning branches already thriving overhead.  And they don't stand much of a chance.

Oh, but then.  But then.

The Loving Vinedresser sees these worn, tired branches pressed down deep into the dirt.  And what does He do?  He oh-so-graciously, oh-so-tenderly reaches down-- into the filth and grime and shame-- and He washes off each leaf, lovingly binding it up close to the Heart of the Vine.  He binds this seemingly forgotten branch up where it is able to be sheltered and nourished and strengthened,  where this branch can now safely and confidently begin to bear fruit once again.  Fruit fit for the Master's table.

*sigh*

Isn't that just the breath of fresh air that every heart has needed at some point in our journey?  Who among us hasn't felt like that forgotten, withered, fruitless branch?  And just. like. that.  The Vinedresser comes alongside and washes away our dirt and bugs, He scrubs away the grime of life-- and sometimes that is uncomfortable.  But it is always best.   And He is determined to keep us close to the Vine.  Close so that we can bear fruit and thrive!  Close so that we can abide.

And now that I know the tenderness of this act of "taking away"-- taking away from the dirt, taking away from the trampling, taking away from the loneliness of being far from the Vine-- I now look forward to "stumbling" upon John 15, whether in my own quiet time with the Lord or during a Bible lesson in the Lord's House.  I love being reminded of the care that my Vinedresser has.  For me.

How this verse now whispers in my heart and brings to my mind the desperate plea of the hymn writer of old:

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide;
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me.

Jesus, take me away.



No comments:

Post a Comment