Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Take Time

I was feeling quite proud of myself this morning:  got up and walked a mile, made some homemade granola (thank you very much, Emily Strobel!), folded some towels, put away dishes-- all before my sweet kiddos got up!  But as I was recanting my morning in my heart, just buzzing all around (quite proudly, I must add), the Spirit whispered in my heart,

"But you didn't sit quietly with Me."  
*sigh*

The opening phrase of a familiar hymn began to hum in my heart... 

"Take time to be holy..."  

Over and over the opening struck me.  Take time.  Holiness doesn't just happen.  It takes time.  And I must *take* that time.  Seize the moment.  Grab onto this goal with all my strength and hold onto it for dear life.  Because, truly, my life DOES depend on it.  No, I do not need to "earn" my salvation (or holiness), but the quality and urgency of my life depends upon my time.

Take time.  To be.  Holy.

I urge you to take a moment to read the story behind this hymn, "Take Time to Be Holy".  It was written not by a preacher or a musician or even a well-known evangelist.  It was instead penned by an English businessman, William Longstaff.  Just a man who knew that holiness begins and thrives with hard work.  Time.

Take time to be holy, Speak oft with thy Lord;
Abide in Him always, And feed on His Word.
Make friends of God's children; Help those who are weak;
Forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.

Take time to be holy, The world rushes on;
Much time spend in secret With Jesus alone;
By looking to Jesus, Like Him thou shalt be;
Thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.

Take time to be holy, Let Him be thy guide,
And run not before Him Whatever betide;
In joy or in sorrow Still follow the Lord,
And, looking to Jesus, Still trust in His Word.

Take time to be holy, Be calm in thy soul;
Each thought and each motive Beneath His control;
Thus led by His spirit To fountains of love,
Thou soon shalt be fitted For service above.



2 comments:

  1. Love that song and what a great site with hymn stories, I just bookmarked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the transparency! This is something we all struggle with, myself definitely included. I appreciate the encouragement! And I never thought so carefully about the words to that hymn. How special!

    ReplyDelete