Thursday, June 28, 2012

My sweet Elisabeth

Turn about is fair play, right?

I have been blessed with 2 sweet babies-- right from the heart of God (which, by the way, is where we tell our kiddos they were before Jesus put them in Mama's tummy).  My last post was about our sweet Daniel, so I thought I would take a moment for today's post to share a bit about my sweet, silly Elle-Belle.



Not long after she was born, I wrote this note in regards to the adjustment of having my joy doubled...

September 16, 2009

As a natural born romantic, I have always loved this passage in Ecclesiastes. I remember as a young girl, reading this passage and just DREAMING of the day when the other half of my "two" would come and complete my "one". Now, don't get me wrong. I'm still a romantic, and I am still so grateful for the other half of my "two". I am indeed better because he is in my life.

However... in recent days-- today specifically-- this verse has taken on a new meaning for me as a mother. I remember when I was expecting our first child, Daniel, having my older, wiser sister warn me that you never realize how selfish you are until you have children. So, I braced myself in the early days of Daniel's life, waiting to be confronted by the Lord with the hidden selfishness that was buried deep within my heart. Days turned into weeks turned into months, and before I knew it an entire year had passed. And I actually found myself thinking, "Wow! I must not have been very selfish at all! This has been great-- almost easy, in fact!"

Yet, it is amazing to me that I have only had two children for less than 2 weeks, and I am already learning the other half of that romantic verse: "...for they have good reward for their labor." While I was enjoying my "one" with Daniel, thinking that I had already attained this wonderful unselfish state, the Lord was waiting for that perfect moment to send me my "two" found with my precious Elisabeth-- not that Elisabeth is a "hard" baby. Quite the contrary-- she is a precious delight. She snuggles and coos and looks at me with those big trusting eyes. My labor comes in the form of my own selfish control. Oh, how I am learning just how hard that labor can be as I struggle to find the balance between mother of Daniel, and mother of Elisabeth, wife of Ashe, and woman named Leah. But I am constantly-- and gently-- reminded by my Savior that it is not in my strength that I am able to do this. I can try as hard as I'd like to control and manage and plan, but I am quickly learning just how selfish I really am. I am learning things about myself that I never would have or could have learned with just my "one" Daniel. I am learning that I desperately needed my "two" Elisabeth in my life so that I will be able to truly HAVE my "good reward".

Two ARE better than one...



Yes, my sweet Ellie is just the icing on the cake in our little family.  She has such an adventurous, yet timid spirit.  Her heart is always full of love-- for her brother (can you see that adoration in her eyes even from near-birth?!), her Daddy, her "babies", and-- of course-- ME!

Wearing mama's socks and shoes
Sportin' her pretty hair-- while clutching her sidekick, "Peter"
FEARLESS, I tell you-- climbing to the top of the "wall" at the park.
Whew!  Being brave is thirsty work!
Thank You, Father, for this sweet Princess!



1 comment: