Thursday, July 19, 2012

Weight Watchers and the Bible

Are you intrigued?  Are you reading this for the simple fact that you can't quite figure out how those two topics go together?! :)

Read on, my friend.  Read on.

It is no secret (to my tens of readers ;) ) that I am on a life-long journey to get my self back in shape and on a much healthier path.  And, let me just remind you, I am a professional failure.  What I mean by that is this:  I have tried juuuust about every "diet" and "lifestyle change" out there.  Some have been a little more successful and/or do-able than others.  Some I have actually enjoyed, and other I have not.  A lot of them even have some really great ideas on how and why I should lose weight, feel great.  But, alas, I am a failure.  I am horrible at sticking to whatever it is that I am trying.  I have a lot of theories about why that is, but I don't want to rabbit trail.  Back to WW and the Bible.

 
I have had several friends who have tried and stuck with the Weight Watchers program.  In fact, just before I found out I was expecting my sweet Daniel, I had joined WW.  However, I dropped out due to my pregnancy (at that time, they didn't allow you to weigh-in and/or track your weight if you are pregnant.  I don't know if that is still their policy or not).  But a good friend of mine (who is also a self-proclaimed professional failure) re-joined WW back in the spring and has been doing spectacular.  In fact, because of her serious change of her "post-baby" [um, I won't tell you that "baby" is going into 3rd grade this year] tummy, I have been so inclined to finally cave and give into the WW way of thinking.

So here I am.  Today is officially my 9th day of Weight Watchers.  My online membership was my birthday present to myself.  After dragging my feet, turning up my nose, and basically refusing to consider it, I am now a Weight Watchers' member-- hopefully, soon to be success story! ;)

That all being said, let's focus back to the present...

As I was fixing my sweet hubby his salad for lunch yesterday (and let me just tell you, it was a sad looking salad.  *sigh*  I really need to go grocery shopping...), I had a complete and total epiphany.   I know why I don't really love Weight Watchers:  the whole premise of this program is making yourself aware of what you are actually eating.  The program points out that pretty much, I am a lazy, sloppy, undisciplined eater (yes, I'm a little hard on myself... ;) ).  While [shamefully, I know] in the past, I might have munched down a hefty portion of chips and dip, I now know just how much that same "serving size" (ish!) is really worth.  *GULP*  And it is not pretty.  I, quite frankly, would be just as fat and happy to never really know the nutritional information of what I was eating.  Not kidding.



And that is how the Bible (or the genuine Christian faith) is to the world.  The same reason I don't like WW (no, seriously.  I do NOT love this "self awareness" in my eating habits.) is the same reason a lot of people avoid God's Word...



~God's Word shows me my inadequacy as a sinner.
~God's Word has a plan for how to give me the ultimate lifestyle change.
~God's Word let's me know that if I do not follow that "plan", the end result is not pretty.

 Quite honestly, it is a lot easier to not "count the cost" (Luke 14:28) and just live each day, in the moment.  As a sinner, I do not like or enjoy following the very strict "lifestyle change" laid out for me in God's Word.  It's tough.  I want to cheat.  I don't want to report my "points" of the day (I John 1:9).  It's so much easier to just turn a blind eye, so to speak, and not worry about how the sin is accumulating and corrupting.

BUT!  If I do follow the plan, if I do count the points cost, the transformation is invaluable-- especially in light of eternity.



5 comments:

  1. I agree 100%!
    Funny how the Lord gives you glimpses of wisdom through something...even WW. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am constantly amazed at how my gracious heavenly Father teaches me so much in so many areas of my life!

      Delete
  2. Like your post Leah and agree about the similarities between the WW and the Bible. On the up side though. In the end the counting the costs (points) are worth the reward. Greg, Andrew, Greg's mom and I have been going to the WW. meetings together. At first the idea of counting points seems almost overwhelming but then it becomes easier and then...some days Satan (food ) seems to win the battle. But you just have to shake yourself off ,get up and continue to fight the good (good for you) fight. Greg has lot 38 lbs so far and his Mom has lost 40 lbs. I am also a great failure in the weight lost department. Not that I have lost a lot of weight. just 20 lbs. but at least we are trying. Keep up the good work. All the food doesn't have to be boring. Will send you a few inspirational items that seem to work for us. Love you and your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for support-- especially from family!!! :) Though, the downside is that now I have even MORE accountability! ;) Hee-hee... Love you guys!!!!

      Delete
  3. I realize this was posted back in the summer, but just wanted to say it rang so true! I've just started WW myself (I've gotten off to a great start twice before, losing 50 pounds both times only to find I was pregnant both times right after hitting that mark - those "babies" are now 6 and 3 years old!). And I realize you're probably wondering who I am, LOL! I grew up with Ashley. Mention my name... he'll say "Oh yeah, she drooled on her desk in Kindergarten!" hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete