Monday, March 17, 2014

Mmm... Couscous!

It's been a while since I posted any sort of "food" themed post here on my lovely blog, so I thought I'd take a moment to share a new favorite food!  It is super quick, easy, and oh-so-very delicious.  Yep, a complete and total "win-win" in my book.  Plus, it's healthy.  Again, the whole "win" thing...

    Black Bean and Couscous Salad




2 cups Tri-colored Couscous
2 1/2 cups chicken broth/stock
2 tbls. olive oil
2 tbls. vinegar (I used rice vinegar-- because I love it!)
1/2 tsp. cumin
Juice of one lime
15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
Small bunch of cilantro, chopped

Bring broth to a boil, and then add the couscous, stirring carefully.  Turn off the heat, cover pot, and let stand about 5 minutes. 

Meanwhile, drain the beans, rinse while in the colander, and let them drain again.

In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, and cumin.

Give the couscous a little "fluff" with a fork, and then add the beans.  Give them a little stir and pour oil/juice/other stuff mix over the black beans and couscous.  Again, give it a stir.  Add chopped cilantro [disclaimer:  I always use some kitchen scissors to just chop up my herbs, bacon, chicken, waffles, etc. etc.] and work it all together.  These flavors are such good friends, and trust me:  they are so happy you brought them together.

Now, what you should have at this exact moment is a slightly warm, very flavorful side dish.  If you aren't ready to eat this goodness, just cover and refrigerate.  I must share that I actually prefer it when it's warm.  (Don't get me wrong, I've been chowin' down on the cold stuff, too!)

Please don't ask me how long it will stay good and/or fresh in the fridge, because then I will have shamefully (grudgingly?) admit that I enjoyed this new salad on several occasions all weekend-- and there's just a bit more left that will be my reward for not killing anyone today keeping a smile on my face all day.

Enjoy!  I promise, you will never look back! ;)  Feel free to let me know how long this delightful dish manages to make it in YOUR house!!!

*cue Yo Gabba Gabba... "Theeeeeere's...  a.... PARTY in my tummy...!"
[yes, I have toddlers in my house...]

No comments:

Post a Comment